Are you ready to visit the wildest place in Portland? Come to the Oregon Zoo and get your fill of animal adventure.
The 64 acre Oregon Zoo is found in Portland, a city with a population of 2.26 million people. Visitors to the Zoo can reach up to 1.6 million yearly.
The Oregon Zoo Foundation engages the community so that there will be more involvement with the Zoo via member-based support. Every year they contribute around $4 to $5 million in funding to help the zoo’s education, conservation, and animal welfare.
Frequent zoo visitors have been noticing some new animals as of late. For some weeks now, a family of wild bald eagles has been observed to be perching among the tall Douglas firs in the zoo’s thickly forested area.
Two of the wild birds have the distinctive white heads and tails of adult bald eagles. They are projected to be from 4 to 5 years old. Their young offspring have also been spotted by sharp-eyed visitors in the Great Northwest area of the zoo.
One weekend, one of the adult eagles touched down by the 160,000-gallon pool at Elephant Lands in the hope of catching fish.
The Zoo is committed to preserving and restoring key habitat for bald eagles and other native animals via a natural areas program which helps nurture the healthy ecosystem needed for wild animals to thrive.
If you plan to visit, you can buy your zoo tickets online so that you can avoid the long lines at the entrance and come and enjoy the zoo ahead of the crowd.
There are two delivery options: “Print on web” gives you quick mobile-friendly tickets you can save on your mobile and tablet. While “Print at home” gives tickets that you need to print out using your home printer. Make sure that you have a PDF reader on your device. A one hour waiting period is given before Print at Home tickets get to your email Inbox.
- General admission tickets can’t be used for concerts or other special events.
- Children under 2 years old get Free admission but they still need a ticket. Make sure to select a ticket for them to include in your order.
- Transit discount, Second Tuesday, Military discount, and other bonus offers can only be availed at the zoo ticket windows
- The zoo is undergoing the final touches to its 2008 bond project. Polar bears, rhino, hippo and some parts of primates are shut down for renovation and construction.
- The Oregon Zoo is open daily except Dec 25, weather permitting
- From Sept 4, 2018, up to May 24, 2019, Zoo gates will open 9:30 am to 4 pm. Ground open until 5 pm.
- May 25, 2019, up to Sept 2, 2019, Zoo gates open from 9:30 am to 6 pm. Grounds open until 7 pm.
- ZooLights hours may vary
- The Zoo is located in Washington Park near downtown Portland, you can get there by train, bus, bike, car or foot.
There are many upcoming events that you might find interesting like Animal activities, Spring Break Day Camp, and World Frog Day Prince and Princess Party, Beaver Day, Critter Club: Safari Adventure, Second Tuesday, Rabbit Romp, and Learning the language of birds lecture to name a few. Check out the zoo website for more details at Oregon Zoo events list.